Thursday 12 January 2012

Simplify your life {Week 2: Define your Personal Values}

This week's challenge is to look at your values. Those values that shake you to your core and you don't change for anyone!!! Deb gave us a great list of value words to use as inspiration, we could use these or any other words that work for us. I just "tried" to add a link to those words (I hope it worked!!!)

I looked these words soooooo many times!!! The first time I looked at them and thought as Mrs Running In Heels the teacher not as me the WHOLE person. Part of this year's is to get me out of ALWAYS being teacher mode (Carlotta I can see you nodding your head at me ehehehe - Yes I have super powers and I see you through your computer!!!!) Lucky I recognized this was the way I was thinking so put the iPad away for the day.

I kept thinking about these words for a few days then I saw a post on Facebook from Deb's guest blogger Kirri White. She was talking about how values and goals are different!!! That was where the light bulb went on. I was getting the two mixed up and making myself confused!!!

I took the list out again and started writing down my thoughts in my SYL12 notebook. I wrote down all the words that spoke to me - that was a list of 20!!! However as I was writing I didn't realize I was marking words as I wrote. I marked words that were really powerful. Once the list was done I went and made a cuppa and looked over the words again. There were a few that kept jumping out at me - one in particular and it wasn't one I was expecting!!!!

After enjoying my cuppa and moment of quiet time as Miss L is sound asleep!!! I divided the page in 2 and wrote 2 headings - Goals / Values. This helped me really get to my core values! It also helped realise some goals I want to achieve this year!!!

Here is my list of GOALS
1. Balance - this is my number one goal for 2012. I need to get the life, work, me balance!!
2. Growth - SYL12!!!!!
3. Spontaneous - I have lost this over the years and it's time to get it back!!!
4. Patience - I'm great at this at work but suck at it everywhere else in my life.
5. Positivity - I think I'm pretty good at this but when things are busy and if I'm around negative people I can slip into their ways.
6. Inspire - if i can make a positive change in one person then I've achieved my goal!!!

Now my VALUES
1. Love / Family - number one all the way!!!!
2. Health - it's so important. The last 2 years have really shown me how much I value health!
3. Authenticity - I could not get value out of my head, it kept speaking to me especially whe. I was thinking about the values I want Miss L to learn in life.
4. Listen - not everyone can do this well but when you can WOW the world can change when we listen.
5. Learning - try to learn just one thing new everyday and don't be afraid to do so!!!
6. Imagination - we loose this as we get older. I love Miss L's imagination and I don't want her to loose that.

So thoughts?????

MarIlyn Monroe - "give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!"

Until next time
Xox

5 comments:

  1. Well done! What a good idea to seperate into goals and values - perhaps thats what i should have tried :) It was a hard task this week but a good one as it made you stop and think! Your year sounds great and I look forward to following you on your journey and watch you achieve your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did this - i found myself realising that i was able to think about some of my goals by seeing words that spoke to me that i knew were not amongst my values YET. For me i know some things have to change before i can achieve things like joy or spontaneity etc

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a fantastic way of looking at this weeks challenge. I purposefully stayed away from blogs this week as I wanted to write my values without knowing any tricks to it but I love yours! It definitely helps me see what my goal words might be too. Looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to separate the goals and values. Often our values will impact on the goals we have. It's great reading what everyone else has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balance is a big goal for me too!
    I think I have been doing pretty well last year in balancing family, blogging, study, 'me time' etc. I hope I can only get better at it this year!

    P.S - I love that Marilyn Monroe quote, I'm in the middle of writing a novel and that's how it starts!

    X

    ReplyDelete